Tropical Christmas Decoration Ideas
Living in Florida may mean that you don’t have the option of building a snowman to incorporate in your Christmas decorations. Anyone anywhere can have the typical Christmas decorations that include traditional tree, lawn and home decorations. But, Christmas doesn’t have to mean traditional. A tropical themed Christmas is a fun way to get family and guests involved in a unique, festive way to celebrate the holidays. Here are just a few ideas to get your tropical Christmas decorations being the talk of the town.
The Christmas Tree
The tree is often the centerpiece when it comes to Christmas decorations. If you are using a traditional tree, it can still be a tropical delight by using tropically themed ornaments, such as pineapples, colorful leis, miniature flip-flops, seashells, and miniature sun hats. Choose lights that scream tropical, such as using only the red, yellow and blue bulbs. Instead of wrapping the tree in tinsel, line it with leis. Don’t forget to decorate the palm trees outdoors with bright lights and if you have indoor palm trees, decorate those as well with either multi-colored lights or a strand of all yellow lights. When choosing the ornaments, you can opt to use only one or two tropical related items, such as all flamingoes or go all out with a total beach theme that includes miniature replicas of sunscreen, beach towels and flip-flops.
Windows and Doors
There is nothing more synonymous with the tropics than delicate, beautiful orchids. To make a tropical wreath for the windows and/or doors, swap out the traditional red and green garland for one that features orchids. You can easily make it yourself by using artificial or fresh orchids that are attached to a Styrofoam ring covered with palm leaves. If you prefer something without flowers, add a tropical punch by covering a ring of greenery with colorful seashells and pineapple ornaments.
A seashell garland is perfect for a mantel, around the tree or along the banisters. To make your own seashell garland, sand dollars are a great choice because they have the same circular shape as a traditional Christmas ornament or you can use seashells of varying shapes and sizes. Simply thread the sand dollar or seashell through a piece of holiday ribbon or twine, tie a small knot to hold it in place, and then continue tying the shells every few inches until you reach the desired length.
A Tropical Christmas Party
Throwing a tropical Christmas party is a great way to get your guests involved in a unique and festive way to celebrate the holidays. Here are a few tips to throw the ideal tropical Christmas party:
- Send invitations on fun shapes, such as palm trees, umbrellas or flip-flops.
- When guests arrive, give them a goody bag that includes candy and toy palm trees to make their own tree ornaments.
- No tropical party is complete without a Tiki bar. Tropical beverages are easy to make, taste great and they can be alcoholic or non-alcoholic. Some of the must-have beverages include pina coladas, daiquiris, and margaritas. Don’t forget to include colorful umbrellas in the drinks as well as a slice of pineapple on the rim of the glass.
- Have a tropical ornament gift exchange. Encourage your guests to bring a wrapped ornament for the swap. Ornaments are fairly inexpensive, but you can always set a limit if you are concerned about the price and ornament choices.
- Decorate the palm trees with flamingoes and lights. Whether you are having the party indoors or outdoors, be sure to include several palm trees in your decorations (real or artificial). Decorate them with red, yellow and green lights and pineapple ornaments. Another cute idea is to attach small hammocks (remind guests they aren’t for use) between two palm trees.
There are hundreds of options you can choose when it comes to decorating for Christmas in a tropical theme. Whether you prefer the tropical look to be quirky or simple, don’t forget to use color, shells and have plenty of fresh tropical fruits available for a get-together. The goal is to have fun and enjoy the holidays with friends and loved ones, so think outside of the box and let your creativity guide you.